Constipation in infants: causes, symptoms and treatment
Constipation in infants is a fairly common problem that every parent faces at least once in life. And so many mothers are interested in information about why the baby has problems with the chair and whether it can be avoided.
How to identify constipation in infants?
It's no secret that the stool in newborns is irregular - as the child grows, the frequency of bowel movements, as well as the amount and consistency of feces, constantly changes. So how do you determine if a child is constipated? For this you need to pay attention to a few basic signs. You can talk about constipation if:
- the baby is emptied less often than once a day;
- fecal solid, pebble;
- when emptying the baby is crying, it is very difficult to push, it turns red, pulls the legs up to the stomach;
- occasionally a small amount of red blood can be seen on the surface of the feces, which indicates damage to the anus;
- As a rule, constipation is associated with abdominal pain, colic, loss of appetite, anxiety of the baby.
Constipation in infants and its causes
Similar problems with the chair have their reasons.
- Quite often, constipation is the result of an early transfer of the baby to artificial compounds.
- Sometimes the use of unsuitable milk formulas or cow's milk leads to similar problems.
- Remember that when bottle-feeding your baby needs a sufficient amount of fluid. With inadequate drinking, constipation may occur.
- Problems with the chair occur when there is an insufficient amount of milk from the mother.
- Sometimes constipation occurs after taking antibiotics.
- Often, difficult emptying has a psychological basis.
Is constipation in an infant breastfed?
Of course, one of the measures to prevent constipation is breastfeeding a baby. Therefore, mothers who comply with this rule are confident that problems with emptying can not arise. This opinion is incorrect, since constipation in breastfed infants is a very common phenomenon.Do not forget that the nutrition of the mother primarily affects the composition of milk. And if a nursing woman eats products with fixing properties, then problems with the chair will arise in the child. That is why mothers during lactation should strictly follow the diet and abandon products such as meat, coffee and cocoa, nuts, white bread, bananas, milk and rice.
Constipation in infants: treatment
Of course, with this problem it is best to consult a doctor. It is very important to find out what is the cause - unhealthy diet or some dangerous disease. Only a specialist will be able to prescribe the appropriate treatment. However, in order to alleviate the condition of the child, plenty of drink is recommended. Sometimes you can use natural laxatives, for example, give your baby a little weak decoction of prunes. In each pharmacy, you can buy glycerin suppositories that facilitate the discharge of fecal masses. And in severe cases, you can make the child an enema. But remember that you first need to identify and eliminate the cause of constipation, as they may appear again.