Dry cough mixture: reviews
Dry cough is a problem that worried each of us at least once. It occurs in both adults and children. If you or your baby are suffering from this phenomenon, the first thing you need to do is to see a doctor, as it will help you find the cause of the cough and eliminate it with the right drugs. It is a lot of these preparations and to pick up the most suitable is rather difficult. In this article, we will find out which dry cough mixture is most effective in treating children and adults.
What is a cough?
Cough is a reflex reaction of the body to the presence of irritant in the airways. It may be a foreign body, sputum, etc. Nevertheless, as soon as he becomes addicted and painful, its elimination becomes simply necessary. Pharmaceutical campaigns provide a huge list of drugs aimed at reducing the severity of cough. On the shelves of the pharmacy you can’t find anything - a mixture (from dry cough and from wet) can be presented in the form of tablets, drops, inhalers, syrups, suspensions, tinctures, etc.
Choosing an antitussive drug correctly
The abundance of drugs is explained simply - it all depends on the nature of the cough. If it is wet, then they use drugs for better separation of sputum, and if it is dry, drugs are used to suppress cough receptors. In this case, most often the dry cough turns into wet.
It is also important not to forget about the cause of the problem - allergic cough is treated with antihistamines, to reduce the cough of smokers it is recommended to treat the bronchi and stop smoking, but the tuberculosis does need complex treatment. However, cough is most often caused by infectious diseases of the upper respiratory tract. It is their treatment that requires the use of the following drugs. It should be taken into account - dry cough mixture for children from 2 years old is not uncommon, many children are contraindicated for use for very young children. Therefore, before applying it is important to carefully read the instructions of the drug, and it is better to consult a doctor, because very young patients require special attention.
Types of antitussive drugs
There are 3 types of cough suppressants:
- Drugs that inhibit the work of the cough center in the brain.
- Drugs that affect the mucous membrane of the bronchi and their smooth muscles.
- Drugs that affect the secret secreted by the bronchi (sputum).
Safe and unsafe
Dry cough occurs due to irritation of the mucous membrane of the respiratory tract. The reason may be any - allergic, infectious or non-infectious. To eliminate it, the use of drugs that affect the cough center in the brain is recommended. Such drugs (for example, "Codeine") are addictive and affect the respiratory system is not the best way, so some of them can be taken only in small courses. It is clear that they are contraindicated for small children. Therefore, instead of such narcotic drugs, safer are currently used - "Libeksin", "Pakseladin", "Tusupreks", "Glaucin", etc. What are dry cough mixtures used? The names and brief instructions will be discussed below.
Dry cough preparations
In order to cough dry nature has become more productive, that is wet, prescribe drugs belonging to the group of mucolytics with anti-inflammatory activity.These drugs are often made on the basis of medicinal plants. These include:
Dry cough mixture is medicine not only for children, but also for adults. They are often devoid of a large number of side effects and are allowed for children under two years of age. Preparations for dry cough for children usually have a much more harmless composition and do not adversely affect the body. They are represented by syrup. This is a convenient form for children, since the shell of the tablets is usually crammed with "chemistry." So, what kind of mixtures for dry cough are allowed for children?
Treatment of dry cough in children: drugs
The most popular cough medicine
In this section, we present the drugs that are used in medical practice most often. These include "Gerbion", "Sinekod" and others. Consider them in more detail.
- Mixture for dry cough "Herbion". It is a herbal medicine that has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antitussive and expectorant effects. Softens and relieves dry-type cough.The basis of the drug is extract of plantain and mallow. It is recommended to use with caution in diabetes. At the same time, the only contraindications are individual intolerance to components, including fructose. Average price: 200 rubles.
- Mixture for dry cough "Bronholitin". It is an antitussive, bronchodilating and bronchoseptic agent. It has a slightly pronounced analgesic and anti-inflammatory, as well as sedative (sedative), antimicrobial and antispasmodic effect. The composition includes glaucine hydrobromide, basal oil and ephedrine. The latter stimulates breathing, expanding the bronchi and exerting a vasoconstrictor effect, which contributes to the elimination of bronchial mucous edema. Women during pregnancy, lactation, with heart failure and children under three years of age are contraindicated. It has a lot of side effects, including numbness of the limbs, tachycardia, sleep, vision and urination disorders, rash, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, and increased sweating. Average price: 60 rubles.
- Mixture from dry cough "Sinekod" receives favorable reviews.Shown in acute cough of various origins. It affects directly the cough center, has expectorant, fermentation and anti-inflammatory effect. The drug is contraindicated during pregnancy and lactation. Children under two years is prohibited. With 3 years allowed the use of syrup, and after 12 - tablets. Children up to three years are given only drops. The drug can cause allergic reactions, as well as nausea, dizziness and diarrhea. The price of drops is 320 rubles, and the syrup is 220 rubles.
- The analogue of Sinekod is Omnitus (which, by the way, also won its portion of compliments on the forum). The last in the form of syrup costs 150 rubles. This mixture of dry cough, reviews of which are numerous and mostly positive, is suitable for both children and adults with a dry cough.
- "Libexin" - a drug whose activity is equal to "Codeine". However, it does not inhibit the respiratory system and does not cause dependence, therefore it is considered more advanced. "Libeksin" is indicated for dry cough during acute and chronic bronchitis, bronchial asthma, pleurisy. In this case, the drug should be taken with caution to children.It is contraindicated in case of intolerance to lactose, galactose, as well as other components of the drug, malabsorption (absorption violation) of glucose-galactose. Price: 200 rubles.
- "Dextromethorphan". It has a hypnotic and analgesic effect, significantly reduces cough after thirty minutes after application. It is prohibited to use the drug simultaneously with mucolytics. Dextromethorphan is indicated for the treatment of cough of various origins in children over six years old and adults. This tool has a very affordable price, but many people prefer to buy more modern and expensive combination products, the main active ingredient of which is also dextromethorphan. These are "Ferveks", "Tussin +", "Paracetamol DM".
Preparations for dry cough. Reviews
Of the numerous drugs presented on the pharmacy shelves, the already mentioned above Omnitus, which is an analogue of the drug Sinekod, received good feedback as a less expensive but no less effective remedy. Also referred to as "Bronholitin", "Elikasol", "Codelac" (it is shown with allergic cough), "Tussin +". A good dry cough mixture, reviews of which are numerous, is Lazolvan.
And, of course, do not forget about such safe, but effective means of traditional medicine, like warm milk with honey, chamomile, and others. God bless you!