Fighting the Colorado potato beetle folk remedies. Methods of struggle
For all summer residents and gardeners, as soon as the summer season begins, the burning question is on the agenda: how to cope with the Colorado potato beetle? This insect is a real catastrophe for tomatoes, eggplants.
Our grandmothers still remember the time when this misfortune was not. How good it was: planted potatoes, weeded, spud, and you can wait for the harvest with a clear conscience. But now the invasion of the Colorado potato beetles does not allow summer residents to relax. On the agenda is always the topic: "The Colorado potato beetle, the fight against it, methods, means."
In our article we will try to figure out how far the invention and skill of agricultural lovers in the fight against the Colorado potato beetle have gone.
Stages of development
In order to do something in the fight against this pest, you need to familiarize yourself with its periods of development, to learn the features.Only then can we hope that the struggle with the Colorado potato beetle using folk remedies will yield its results.
All winter pests are well waited in the soil at a depth of 20-30 centimeters. As soon as in the spring the sun warms it to 12-15 degrees, the hordes of the Colorado beetles crawl out into the white light.
Begins mass deposition of eggs, which can last up to 3 months. Each female for the entire period is able to lay up to 700 eggs. One can only imagine what efforts must be made to cope with such an army of pests! And the hatched larvae are incredibly voracious, for a day they can leave only bare branches from the potato bush.
Closer to the fall, the larvae move to the ground, burrow into the soil and turn into pupae. If the weather is still warm, then after about 2 weeks the younger generation crawls back and continues its dirty business of destroying potatoes. With the onset of cold weather, they hide in the ground and fall into a state of rest, they can be in it for several years.
Currently, a huge amount of chemicals have been created that help fight the pest, but by processing the potato bushes and destroying the beetles, we also harm ourselves, because then we have to eat potatoes stuffed with chemistry.The safest methods are folk remedies against the Colorado potato beetle, with which we will become acquainted below.
Why is the bug so hardy?
First, let's find out why the perennial efforts of gardeners do not bring the desired result? There are a huge number of methods and means of struggle, and every year only the beetle thrives more and more. There is a struggle with the Colorado potato beetle with folk remedies and chemicals, and there is practically no result.
The whole thing - in his vitality, but it can be explained by the following points:
- The Colorado potato beetle moved to our mainland from America, and we simply do not have its natural ill-wishers, so no one bothers it to quietly multiply exponentially.
- During the growing season of potatoes, only one female is able to lay from 300 to 1000 eggs.
- Colorado beetles can easily fall into a state of hibernation for several years, if there is a lean year for them, and then quietly continue to exist.
- Since the beetle hibernates deep in the soil, it is practically inaccessible for chemical insecticides.
- These beetles are beautiful flyers, so they can fly their own for many kilometers.
- If we imagine that all gardeners and gardeners at the same time began to destroy the beetles, then you could still achieve a positive result. But everyone understands that this is simply impossible.
It turns out that the entire effective fight against the Colorado potato beetle turns out to be such only for a short time.
Safe ways to destroy uninvited guests
Despite the fact that there are quite a lot of chemicals against bugs, they do not give the proper result. Beetle very quickly adapts to the poisons and ceases to perceive them. Therefore, folk remedies to combat the Colorado potato beetle remain not only effective, but also environmentally friendly, both for nature and for man himself.
The most effective way is to collect bugs with your hands and destroy them. But if the potato plantation is small, the summer resident is on the site every day, then this method will not be difficult. But for those who have a garden and a few hundred square meters and are far from home, this method, of course, is not suitable.
On a large area, other methods will come to the aid in the fight against insects, which can be divided into two groups:
- Use infusions and decoctions.
Each of them has its own distinctive features, advantages and disadvantages; let's take a closer look at them.
"Dry" methods of struggle
The basis is the use of bulk substances, of which there is no need to prepare a decoction or infusion. There are a lot of such drugs, and if they alternate, the gardeners claim that the result will be positive.
Here are some popular ways:
- Use dry ash. For dusting plants used dry wood ash, best of all birch, but the other also has an impact. It is best to start the treatment process in the morning when there are still dew drops on the leaves. It is noticed that even a single application leads to the death of a large number of adult beetles and their larvae.
- Cornmeal can be used on the same principle as ash. Getting into the stomach of a beetle, it swells and causes its death.
- Some gardeners claim that dusting cement or plaster does not leave the bugs any chance of survival.
- If between the bushes of potatoes to fill the ground with fresh birch or pine sawdust, the beetles will fly around the site side.
Pest control with mustard powder
Separate from dry methods and methods of control using infusions and decoctions is the use of mustard powder. Many agricultural experts are convinced that the fight against the Colorado potato beetle with folk remedies, mustard, for example, is quite effective. Especially since this powder can be easily purchased.
The recipe of cooking means is quite simple:
- 10 liters of warm water are poured into the bucket and 1 kg of dry mustard powder is poured out with constant stirring.
- Then it is necessary to add 100 ml of 9% vinegar to the solution and mix well.
- The prepared mixture can be sprayed with potato tops.
Those who used this method claim that it is rather effective not only against adult beetles, but also against larvae.
Broths and infusions of plants
Recently, folk remedies against the Colorado potato beetle have become more and more popular, and the summer residents' forums confirm this. There you can find a lot of recipes decoctions and infusions that gardeners share. If you follow all recommendations for use, the result will not take long.
Here are some of them:
- Infusion of walnut leaves.To prepare it, you need to take 1 kg of leaves and pour a bucket of boiling water, cover and insist for a week. Spray the infusion of potato tops.
- Take 1 kg of white acacia, dry it, grind and insist in 10 liters of water for several days. Then you can use for spraying.
- For spraying, it is recommended to apply the infusion of flowers of sunflower. To do this, 0.5 kg of fresh flowers insist in a bucket of water for 3 days.
- Prepare a decoction of dandelion: 200 grams of leaves and the same horsetail pour 10 liters of water and boil for 15 minutes. Use immediately after preparation, diluted in a ratio of 0.5 liters - 10 liters of water.
- From 100 grams of dry bitter pepper to prepare the broth, for this it is poured with 10 liters of water and boiled for 2 hours. Before use, add a little soap.
Measures to combat the Colorado potato beetle folk remedies can be listed for a long time. Everyone is able to try several options for the season and for himself to conclude which of them is the most effective.
Usually the Colorado potato beetle does not tolerate sharp unpleasant odors, and this hostility can be used against it. Here are some examples of these recipes:
- Onion waste pour hot water and insist during the day. This means it is good to process the bushes even before the laying of eggs.
- It is possible to plant garlic cloves between rows of potato bushes, then the beetle will fly around these places.
- Beetles do not like the smell of calendula, if you plant its bushes around the perimeter of the site, then it will scare them a little.
- The same effect has beans, cilantro.
- After stacking tomatoes, you can not throw them away, but use remote stepsons with advantage, or rather, against the beetle. To do this, pour 1 kg of leaves and sprouts of a tomato with a bucket of warm water and insist for several hours. Then mix, strain and add 40 grams of soap to the solution better adhered to the leaves.
All these methods are good if used on time and regularly.
Plants repellents in the fight against beetles
It has long been noticed that our American guest treats with great love not all plants. Many are very unpleasant for him. Therefore, it is quite possible to use against him. If you organize such islands of flowers unloved for the beetle on your plot, you can hope that he will fly by with great desire.
To create such places you can use:
- Cucumber grass.
- Night violet.
Some summer residents have fully adapted themselves, planting onions, horseradish and beans around the perimeter and diagonal of the plot, in order not only to frighten off beetles, but also to harvest.
Such a struggle with the Colorado potato beetle folk remedies has quite positive reviews. Of course, it cannot be assured that no pest will visit your site, but the fact that they will be much smaller is a fact.
Despite the fact that there are not so many natural enemies in our area of the Colorado beetles, nevertheless, for such a long time as they parasitize us, some birds and insects have adapted to eat it. Here they can be used to fight with beetles.
For most birds, Colorado beetles are inedible because of the high content of solanine in them, which they accumulate in themselves, eating plants from the Solanaceae family. But in the world of feathered and arthropods there are such brave souls who ventured to feast on the larvae of beetles.
Of insects, these are golden-eyed and ground beetles, and of birds, pheasants. Recently, it has been observed that starlings, bugs and ladybugs have also taken the path of combating these pests, which means that there is an addition to the defenders regiment.
But adult beetles are ready to eat only guinea fowls, they can be bred in their own yard and released to the site for collecting beetles. Some believe that turkeys can be habituated to such a delicacy, if from early childhood turkeys are mixed into the feed of ground beetles.
Fight with yourself
Here is our today's "hero" - the Colorado potato beetle. The methods of struggle with folk remedies, it turns out, cannot be compared with the killing effect of the beetle on himself. Rather, the poison that is contained in the bodies of the larvae.
This can be fully tried. If you managed to collect a half-liter jar of American immigrants, then you need to put them in a bucket, fill with water and close the lid. As soon as almost all the bugs sink to the bottom, the poisonous agent is ready for use. It usually takes 4 to 6 days.
We dilute this infusion of beetles at a ratio of 1: 2, that is, 1 liter of infusion must be taken 2 liters of water, and you can safely go to the potato plantation to destroy the beetles and their larvae. One caveat: you must work in gloves.
It turns out that all ingenious is simple. The beetle itself places at our disposal a weapon against a loved one.
The fight against the Colorado potato beetle with folk remedies has gone so far that gardeners are constantly looking for all new tools, sometimes quite original ones. Let's get acquainted with them:
- Dilute 1 cup of sunflower oil in a bucket of water and spray potato bushes. Those who used this tool claim that triple processing is enough.
- Prepare a chilling "chatterbox": take 300 grams of soda, add the same amount of yeast and stir in 10 liters of water. Spray 1-2 times a week.
- Get rid of the larvae and eggs on the lower leaves can be highly spuding bushes.
- According to observations, beetles do not tolerate the proximity of anthills, they do not settle within a radius of 10 meters.
Agrotechnical techniques in the fight against pest
In the article, our favorite potato was under scrutiny. The fight against the Colorado potato beetle (folk remedies that are used for this purpose are discussed above) is also carried out with the help of agrotechnical techniques that help indirectly fight a voracious insect.
Here are some of them:
- On the plot it is necessary to observe crop rotation.
- Beds with potatoes, tomatoes and eggplants should be placed further from each other.
- Autumn requires deep digging of the soil.
- To conduct regular loosening of row spacing to reduce the number of pupae larvae.
- After harvesting potatoes, it is not recommended to leave the tops on the site.
- Mulching between rows with needles, straw not only protects the soil from drying out, but also creates ideal conditions for our helpers: ladybugs, ground beetles, gold-eyed.
If these agrotechnical methods are applied, the struggle with the Colorado potato beetle by folk remedies will become more effective.