How to distribute the Internet from a laptop?
Freed from the wires today can not only with the help of a wireless router. There is nothing easier than to distribute the Internet through a laptop equipped with a WiFi adapter. Such routing, of course, will have a small coverage area, but it will be enough for several rooms.
How to distribute the Internet from a laptop: use special programs
For many users who do not understand the features of setting up network connections, the best option would be to download and install programs for distributing Internet over WiFi.
Installed on a laptop or personal computer, Virtual Router Plus, Switch Virtual Router or MyPublicWiFi, allow you to enjoy your own WiFi network in just 10 minutes after installation. After installation in any of them it will be enough to fill only 2 fields:
- Network name (Network name, SSID, Name of the router);
- Wi-Fi password (Network key).
Next, just press the start button.
There are other programs that allow you to distribute the Internet on a laptop. Most of them differ only in interface. The best of them is the Switch Virtual Router.
In addition, you can customize the action when going into sleep mode, automatically turning on, minimizing to the system tray, notifications when a device is connected. Also in its window all connected devices are displayed.
How to distribute the Internet from a laptop: use the Connection or Windows Setup Wizard
If you have free time, you can distribute the Internet on a laptop and by using the capabilities of Windows itself.
- To implement such a method in the Network and Sharing Center you need to select the item “Setting up a new connection or network”.
- Here it should be noted “Setting up a computer-to-computer wireless network” and pressing “Enter”.
- In the next window, you just have to press "Enter" again.
- After you need to fill in the “Network Name” columns, select the “WPA2-Personal” security type, create and specify a password of 8 digits, check the “Save new network settings” option and press “Enter”.
- As a result, it remains only to click on the "Enable Internet Connection Sharing" and close the window.
Now the laptop will be able to distribute the Internet via Wi-Fi to any device from which confirmation of the security key will be received.If you select a type of security without a password (open) during the configuration, then any device in the coverage area will be able to connect to the Internet.
How to distribute internet from a laptop: use commands
The method allows you to cope with such a task as the distribution of the Internet through a laptop, using Notepad.
To implement it, create 3 text files:
- wifi.txt with content (netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode = allow ssid = "Desired identifier" key = "Desired access key" keyUsage = persistent) without brackets;
- start.txt with content (netsh wlan start hostednetwork) without brackets;
- stop.txt with content (netsh wlan stop hostednetwork) without brackets.
Then you need to rename their resolution from txt to bat.
- After starting wifi.bat as an administrator, the drivers for the virtual Wi-Fi adapter will be automatically installed and a new connection will be created (Wireless network connection 2).
- Next, you need to go to the Network and Sharing Center and select the "Properties" item in the connection through which the laptop receives the Internet.
- Here in the “Access” tab, it is enough to check the item “Allow other network users to use the Internet connection of this computer”, select “Wireless network connection 2” from the drop-down list and press “Enter”.
In the future, to enable a virtual wireless router with the specified parameters (the identifier and key specified above), start.bat must be launched, and stop.bat to disable it.