How to set up a VPN connection?
Every day, we are increasingly being offered to use VPN technology to connect to the Internet. At work, in an Internet cafe, even at home, we are confronted with this term almost daily. Fairly questions arise: how to set up a VPN connection, and what is it? We will answer these questions in detail in today's article on VPN servers.
What is a VPN server?
VPN is an abbreviation of “Virtual Private Network”, translated as “Virtual Private Network”. A VPN connection is made on top of an already created network, for example, a home local network or the Internet. It easily integrates computers from different parts of the planet into a single logical network. One of the most important advantages of VPN is data encryption, protecting them from possible interception.
In the case when computers are connected physically (with a special cable or via Wi-fi), their integration is possible only with the use of a dedicated VPN server. Do not worry, this role is played by a completely ordinary computer filled with special software.
A VPN server is dedicated to managing the connection of the child machines to the virtual private network.
Setting up the Internet via VPN
On computers (hereinafter referred to as machines), you need to configure a special VPN connection. In general terms, this includes configuring the name of the VI-PI-EN server, its address and password required for a successful connection. But all the operating systems are different! Consider the most popular used, and start with the old man - Windows XP.
Setting up a VPN connection in Windows XP
- Start - Settings - Control Panel - Network connections (the path may differ slightly "due to" the patching of this system from the author).
- Find the section "Network Tasks" - Creating a new connection.
- Nothing interesting, just a greeting wizard. Click "Next".
- We mark “Connect to the network at the workplace”, click on “Next”.
- "Connecting to a virtual private network." Again “Next.”
- Creative time. We set the name of the future network convenient for you. And what? Yes, “Next.”
- Call provider, find out the address of the VPN server. Or the name that you have taken as a basis. I have an address. Yes, the phone is far from being removed and the provider is not rude - you will soon understand what the salt is.
- We finish the connection wizard, it is desirable to put a tick, a connection shortcut will appear on your desktop.
After that, the connection will occur automatically. You only need to enter a username and password.Time for the second call to the provider!
The VPN connection you have created can also be edited and a series of actions can be performed with it using the context menu.
How to set up VPN on Windows 7: just about complicated
More and more users are sending XP into oblivion, and the reason for this is the magnificent OS of the new generation - Windows 7.
To create a VPN connection in Win7, follow the algorithm below. It is somewhat similar to the above algorithm for XP, but there are significant details that cannot be ignored.
- Start - Control Panel - Network and Sharing Center.
- On the left, find "Establishing a connection or network", click.
- "Connection to the workplace", click "Next."
- We answer the courteous question of the system: “No, create a new connection” and click “Next”.
- Click on "Use my Internet connection." We will define the connection later, select the item “postpone the decision”. Click "Next".
- In the "Address" field, enter the name (or address!) Of your VPN server. In the field "Name" enter the name of the future connection acceptable for you.
- We allow (or prohibit) another user of the local machine to connect through the created connection. Tick "Allow other users to use this connection."I banned, that is, ticked off.
- Enter the username and password to connect to the virtual private network. Your provider will help you (XP-shniki know firsthand who it is) or a system administrator.
- Click "Create".
Done! You can place a shortcut to your VPN connection on the Desktop, to do this, bring up its context menu (right click on it) and select the “Create Shortcut” item. The system will offer to place a shortcut on the desktop. Feel free to click "Yes."
Now you can connect to the VPN. We find the required shortcut on the Desktop, double-click on it (optional: right-click and bring up the notorious context menu and select “connect.” Or, from harm, find the third way: select the shortcut with a single click and tap on the “Enter” key).
I recommend that you select the “Save username and password” option in order not to enter a password every time you make a connection.
When you start a VPN connection for the first time, the system will prompt you to choose your location. Choose "Public Place" and then Windows 7 will provide you with adequate security at work. Yes, click "Close".
Similar to Windows XP, Seven provides all sorts of settings for your VPN connection. To open them, right-click on the connection in the list of connections, the "Properties" item. Here you can manage encryption settings, use other devices as a default modem, and so on.
So we figured out how to set up a VPN in Windows 7. Everything turned out to be much easier than it could be. Fear has big eyes, remember that the most difficult step is the first step.
How to configure VPN on Android OS
Android OS. There is not enough paper to describe all the delights of this masterpiece of programming. But we are not engaged in advertising here, but only help you in setting up the Internet via VPN.
So, to configure VPN on Android OS, you need:
- Open Settings (Settings) - Wireless Controls (Wireless Controls) - VPN Settings (VPN Settings). Click “Add VPN”.
- Select and confirm - “Add PPTP VPN” (Add PPTP VPN).
- Specify the name of the connection (VPN name) - “bla-bla-bla”, the VPN server address (Set VPN server) - “blablabla.com” (or directly via IP: “xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx”, disable encryption ( Disable ecryption).
- Open the context menu of the created connection. Select "Connect to network".
- In the window that opens, enter the login (username) and password (password).
So you connected to the Internet via VPN.Setting it up on Android is not difficult even for novice users - the main thing is not to deviate from the instructions. If you see any differences between the described algorithm and your androidophone, I apologize. Perhaps, for the time that has passed since the publication of the article and before you got acquainted with its content, something has changed. But I am sure that the algorithm will not “leave” any further differences in the graphical interface.
All the best and all for the quality of the connection!