Hypothyroidism: Symptoms, Causes, Treatment
Hypothyroidism, symptoms, treatment and causes of whichwill be discussed in this article, most directly related to the deterioration of the thyroid gland. It develops and manifests itself, as a rule, because of a shortage of thyroid hormones. About two percent of the world's population suffers from this disease. Most often, this ailment occurs in older women. It can be primary and secondary. Primary acquired hypothyroidism is most common.
Hypothyroidism: the main causes of its appearance
Hypothyroidism, the symptoms and treatment of which is discussed here, may appear for the following reasons:
- lack of iodine in the body. This explains why he most often tortures people of advanced age, whose body is not able to properly digest iodine;
- problems with the thyroid gland. Problems with it can be different: it's acquired pathology and something congenital. Very often the cause of all the misfortunes can be the ordinary underdevelopment. All of the above, affects the productivity of her work, and therefore, on how much she produces hormones. Problems with it must be addressed immediately, as the matter may end in unpleasant consequences for the whole organism;
- for reasons you can safely be attributed and congenitalinability of tissues to perceive thyroid hormones. The bottom line is that the thyroid gland produces enough hormones, but the body can not digest them;
- hypothyroidism can be caused by damagebrain structures or himself: the thyroid gland starts to work worse, since the "main control organ" has lost control over it. This can happen after any trauma or after a person has suffered an infectious disease of the brain.
Hypothyroidism: Symptoms and Diagnosis
Patients who have symptoms of hypothyroidism,to confirm or refute the presence of this disease, they pass urine and blood to tests. The essence of them is that doctors, in order to make a decision, should determine the level of concentration of thyroid hormones. Also, a magnetic resonance or ultrasound scan of the thyroid gland can be performed to help detect the presence of a tumor, as well as any other reasons why a person has hypothyroidism. Symptoms are the following:
- a person is in a depressed state and feels completely broken;
- memory gradually worsens, and thought processes slow down;
- a person can strongly add weight;
- the body temperature goes down, which means that the patients are always cold;
- hair loss is possible;
-strong bloating and flatulence;
- the skin becomes dry.
Hypothyroidism, the symptoms of which we are considering,can also be determined by the appearance of hoarseness in the voice, cyanotic lips and nausea. If the disease really developed, adults can observe swelling of all tissues, as well as organs.
Not detected in time hypothyroidism in children can cause dementia and even cretinism.
By the way, it is worth noting subclinical hypothyroidism, the symptoms of which are the same as in the usual, but appear slower and detect them much more difficult.
What should be the treatment
In the first place in the treatment try to eliminatedeficiency of the thyroid gland, and only then struggle with its consequences. Very often doctors prescribe the reception of synthetic analogues of the desired hormone. Some people will have to take them throughout life. Also, vitamins, diets and drugs are prescribed, which can have a beneficial effect on metabolism. The duration of treatment largely depends on how much the disease is started.