What are the functions of the thyroid gland in men?
Thyroid gland in men performs very importanttasks. It allows the body to function normally. This irreplaceable organ is a component of the endocrine system and is responsible for the production of the necessary hormones. In diseases of the thyroid gland, a person experiences disruptions in the work of the whole organism, which leads to serious health problems. Problems in the endocrine system adversely affect the quality of life of the patient. To prevent negative consequences, it is recommended to undergo regular medical examinations, which will identify thyroid disease in men and timely remove it.
The first signs of abnormalities in the thyroid gland:
- pain in the joints and muscles;
- discomfort and swelling of the neck;
- an intestinal disorder;
- change in the condition of the hair and skin;
- increased cholesterol;
- Irrelevant irritability, depression;
- excessive fatigue;
- fluctuations in weight.
Thyroid gland in men with lowactivity provokes such symptoms as cold intolerance, a sharp increase in body weight, slow heart rate, dry hair and skin, as well as frequent constipation. Increased activity of the thyroid gland is accompanied by weight loss, intolerance to heat, increased nervousness and excitability, sleep disturbances and increased intestinal peristalsis.
Pathologies of the thyroid gland:
- hyperthyroidism is characterized by excessive production of hormones;
- Basedova's disease, in which stimulation of the thyroid gland is carried out by the immune system;
- Hypothyroidism is characterized by a deficiency of hormones produced;
- Hashimoto's thyroiditis is accompanied by a decrease in the number of hormones with antibodies from the immune system;
- thyroid cancer occurs as a result of the development of small tumors and thyroid nodes.
Thyroid gland in men is examined using the following methods:
- palpation of the neck;
- check of reflexes;
- listening with a stethoscope;
- the measurement of blood pressure, as well as the frequency and rhythm of the heartbeat;
- examination of the organs of vision;
- evaluation of body and body temperature;
- determination of the condition of nails, skin and hair;
- blood tests;
- computer diagnostics;
- a skin test for iodine;
- analyzes of urine and saliva.
Indications for the removal of the thyroid gland:
- oncological diseases;
- the formation of goiter with signs of neck compression;
- some types of injuries;
- diffuse toxic or congestive goiter;
- functional autonomy of the thyroid gland.
Thyroid removal in men isIt is a very serious undertaking that must be carefully planned. Before the operation, it is important to examine the level of antibodies and hormones, conduct ultrasound of the lymph nodes of the neck, do laryngoscopy, computed tomography, and, if necessary, magnetic resonance imaging. In addition, the patient must pass general clinical blood tests, which will help determine the date of the surgical procedure. How effectively will the thyroid gland be operated in men, completely depends on the severity of the disease, so if you have the first suspicious symptoms, you should seek medical help.
Types of operations on the thyroid:
- thyroidectomy (complete removal of the gland);
- resection (removal of a specific tissue site);
- hemithyroidectomy (excision of one lobe of the thyroid gland);
- lymphadenectomy (performed on the lymph nodes of the neck).