What foods contain folic acid? List
Folic acid is a vitamin that is needed by the human body. Its deficiency can lead to the development of anemia, and in pregnant women for a short time - to miscarriage. It is important to know not only what products contain folic acid, but also how to use it correctly in order to avoid unpleasant consequences in the future.
Role in the body
Influence on a person’s internal state
- Participates in protein synthesis, while regulating brain activity.
- Helps other vitamins to be better absorbed, improves sleep.
- Maintains the necessary level of the immune system.
- It is very important to know what foods contain folic acid, women who are expecting a child. After all, this vitamin reduces the risk of premature birth and miscarriage, helps the fetus to develop properly.
- Vitamin B9 is an effective remedy to combat postpartum depression.
- Regular consumption reduces the risk of stroke.improves blood circulation and prevents blood clots.
- Weaken the symptoms of menopause.
Daily intake of folic acid
For an adult, the recommended dosage for a day is approximately 200 micrograms. Pregnant women and lactating mothers, it is desirable to obtain a larger amount of vitamin B9 - up to 400 mgk. In order to maintain the health of an infant, it will be enough for him 40 mg / day.
Interaction with other substances
The effect of folic acid can be enhanced by using it at the same time as vitamins such as C and B12. However, if it is taken with contraceptives or with drugs for ulcers, then B9 absorption may be impaired and adversely affect the human condition.
It is recommended to consult with your doctor before using the medications in order to eliminate the risks of deterioration of well-being.
Signs of lack of folic acid in the body
- Fatigue for no particular reason.
- Insomnia or increased nervousness.
- Diarrhea, loss of appetite.
- Hair loss, the appearance of gray hair prematurely or a change in skin color.
For any of these symptoms, it is recommended to immediately contact your doctor. Most likely, the reason will be precisely the lack of vitamin B9.If the diagnosis is confirmed, find out which foods contain folic acid, and start eating them in larger quantities than usual.
An overdose of vitamin B9
The use of substances in large quantities, which requires the daily rate, can lead to an overdose. Symptoms may be as follows: bloating, sleep disturbance at night, nausea, vomiting. In this case, you must contact your doctor and reduce the dose of the drug.
Products containing vitamin B9
What foods contain folic acid?
- Greenery.This is the first thing to look out for. Fresh parsley and lettuce are very rich in this vitamin.
- Vegetables- The main source of nutrients for the body. They contain not only the necessary daily intake of folic acid for humans, but also many other beneficial trace elements that are beneficial for their health.
- Asparagus. Long since this plant was considered medicinal. Any variety contains in its composition copper, iron, calcium, phosphorus and a huge amount of vitamins, including B9. Asparagus regulates pressure and is a dietary product, so there are no contraindications to its use.
- Fruit. If you want to know where folic acid is found in, in which products it is the most, then pay attention to citrus fruits. For example: 100 grams of lemon will give you about 80% of the daily intake of vitamin. It is also useful to eat oranges, kiwi, bananas, pears and apples.
- Whole grain products.It is recommended to use this product in germinated form, without additional heat treatment. It is perfectly absorbed by the body and nourishes the necessary amount of vitamins of all groups.
- The nuts. The only product where folic acid is contained in excess. 100 grams of regular peanuts give about 240 mcg of vitamin B9, so you need to eat the product in moderation. Especially recommended nuts during lactation in women.
- Sunflower seeds. It is believed that they only clog the stomach, but it is not. It does not matter in what form you will use them - the product contains vitamins B6, B9, E, which have a beneficial effect on human health.
- Where does folic acid contain, in which foods can it be found in the summer? Almost all. Seasonwatermelons- an excellent way to fill the required amount of the body B9.
- Corn. In the summer time it is very useful to use it fresh, but if you wanted to taste the sugar darling in the winter, it is quite suitable for canned food. Of course, there are fewer vitamins in it, but in any case it will be not only tasty, but also useful.
- Bread. Many women refuse to eat bread for the reason that it spoils the figure. However, if we talk about what foods contain vitamin folic acid, then grain bread simply cannot be ignored. This is not only a storehouse of B9, but also an excellent option to normalize the metabolism, remove excess fat from the body.
- Want some exotics during pregnancy? You can safely buy a few ripeavocado. One fruit in its composition contains approximately 22% of vitamin B9 from the dose that needs to be consumed per day. In addition, this fruit is rich in other beneficial substances. Despite all its beneficial properties, avocados are not recommended for use during breastfeeding of the child. If it is harmless to the mother, then the baby may trigger an upset stomach.
- If you are interested in what foods contain more folic acid than vegetable, then an excellent alternative can bechicken liver. At 100 grams, about 240 mcg of vitamin B9.
- Cod liver- Another product that a person uses in canned form. This delicacy is not only tasty and nutritious, but also rich in vitamins, proteins and fish oil.
- What foods contain folic acid and vitamin E? Of course ineggs. And this is not about chicken, but about quail product. Scientists have proven that it is very useful to use them in its raw form. Thus, the human body receives all the valuable trace elements to maintain excellent health. Quail eggs are not able to cause an allergic reaction, so they can be used by pregnant women and even children at any age.
- Groats- Especially useful product for women during lactation. Rice, oatmeal, buckwheat affect the improvement of lactation and provide the necessary dose for the body of vitamin B9.
Now you know exactly which foods contain folic acid. The list presented above tells in detail about where and in what quantity you can find this vitamin.
Vitamin B9 for men
It may seem that folic acid use is only useful for women. This is not true.During pregnancy planning, vitamins are recommended to be used by both sexes.
It is especially important for men to know which foods contain folic acid and zinc, because these trace elements have a beneficial effect on sperm and the general health of the future father.
Vitamin B9 is found in almost every product that we consume during the day. However, in most cases, folic acid is simply destroyed. It happens during cooking.
As you know, during heat treatment, almost all the useful properties of the products are destroyed. For this reason, it is important to know a few nuances that will saturate the body with folic acid and at the same time eat tasty food.
- Some foods are cooked much faster than we actually keep them in the pan. If you see that, for example, the mushrooms are already covered with a light golden crust, there is no point in cooking them further.
- Cooking should take place under a closed lid, this will minimize the evaporation of nutrients and accelerate the cooking process itself.
- If the product can be eaten raw, it is generally not recommended to subject it to heat treatment. For example, vegetables or quail eggs.
Now you know what foods contain folic acid. But you need to have information about contraindications.
Scientists have shown that vitamin B9 is not able to have a negative impact on the human body. The only exception may be individual intolerance (allergic reaction). However, this phenomenon is very rare. You can take tests to verify that you have no allergy to folic acid.
When using vitamin B9, you must strictly follow the instructions of the doctor about the dosage. With the wrong dose, side effects (sleep disturbance, abdominal pain) may appear.
The human body needs vitamins always, and not only in the planning period of pregnancy or lactation. It is recommended to eat fresh fruits, vegetables and other products from the list every day so as not to cause a lack of vitamin B9.